Friday 21 November 2008

Brushes And Semiotics.

Using brushes, downloaded from the internet, I created an icon and banner which will be used for my blog. The gradient tool was used to create the fade out affect and different layers were used to created the background. I used a colour scheme of pink and white and gave a shadow effect on the text to make it stand out, particularly at the word “blog” as it was hard to see on the lighter background. I also used an orential theme to keep a consistancy between my banner and my icon.

Semiotics can be defined and seperated into three separate catagories:

Icon – these show what they represent i.e no smoking sign

Symbol – this needs to be culturally learned as it does not obviously represent what it is portraying. i.e. Stop Sign

Indexical – Suggestive and connected to what it represents. E.g. smoke to fire

No comments: